Monday, September 22, 2008

It's no wonder

Most of you know that we have an extra large dog named Minnie. She's our Great Dane "puppy", she's only a year old. We like her a lot and she is the most gentle dog with the kids. Dane's are often called the gentle giants. Well gentle has many meanings I supposed as both me and Jess have found out. So every Sunday we go to the park as a family and there are softball diamonds we let Minnie run around in to get all of her energy out. Jess goes to left field and I go to right field and we call her back and forth to wear her down. We've done this so many times without accidents... So here comes Minnie at me full speed (keep in mind she sounds like a horse coming at you and she weighs more than me). I just stand there as I always do and she USUALLY runs around me and back to Jess. The last thing I remember was seeing Minnie about 5 ft away and then I was lying on my back telling myself "I have to breathe, I have to breathe". Then Kaden and Jesse were standing over me and tears were pouring down my face. From Jesse's view he saw Minnie take out my legs, my body went completely horizontal and I landed flat on my back. When I didn't get up it clued him in that I was hurt. I just had the wind knocked out of me and probably passed out for about 10 sec is all so no harm done so me and Jess laugh about it now. Kaden got mad at Minnie and stabbed her in the back with my car keys. So protective. Minnie did the same thing to Jess a couple months ago only she got him from behind and he landed flat on his backside... he had quite the bruise. But there's no pic of that! Jess has instilled in Minnie a total fear of the kids so she is so careful around them. Now I'm wishing he had done the same for me!

Here's our Minnie! We love her despite her clumsy ways!

5 comments:

The Nelsons said...

Jen

You haven't lived until you've been knocked out by a pet. At least you have a big enough dog that Jesse won't hurt it when he kicks it. We can't wait to get into a house so we can get a dog. Maybe we'll keep it smaller than Minnie for Syd's sake. Anton

Heidi said...

Holy smokes! That is nuts! Glad you survived and that Minnie is still a part of the family - even after that!

M-n-M said...

your posts are always so fun to read.

Maybe when Minnie was coming full speed you should have used those 5k running, medal winning legs to get out of her way :) J/K but i am glad you didn't get hurt. Our dog is a St Bernard and I have experienced the same thing - but good dogs are so worth it.
Love you guys - tell Jesse hello.

The Horton Family said...

Jen - Oh man, Glad you are ok. :) I would have cried just watching her run at me - your brave for letting her do it consisently. Yikes!

Mandi Ward said...

That does not sound like fun. Glad you are okay.