Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Mommy, where do babies come from?"

That's right. The dreaded question came... quite a bit earlier than I expected might I add. (At least it was Kaden and not Ellie.) We know quite a few people having babies soon and we have been watching a lot of Pinocchio. Here's how the conversation went:
"Kaden, Tera is going to have a baby!"
"Oh!" (You can see the wheels turning in his head as he contemplates this.) "And her tummy is going to get big? "
"Yep."
"Down in her shirt?"
"Yep."
"How does it get down there? Does she swallow it?" (Too much Pinocchio.)
"No...."
"Does it go in here?" (Pointing at the other end)
"No...."(my heartrate is climbing at this point.)
"How does it get there?"
"Heavenly Father put it there."
"How?"
"......uh"
"Did she go to heaven or did Heavenly Father come here?"
"No she didn't go to heaven."
"Oh, Heavenly Father came here?!"
"No.... she's just going to have a baby!"
"How? Did she go to heaven and get a baby?"
".... ask your dad when he comes home!"
Jesse lucked out. Kaden forgot by the time he came home. Whew. Escaped that one for now. Simple answers no longer suffice. He's getting too smart. If any of you have any suggestions let me know!

PS. One of my new year resolutions was to keep a better journal. I am not good at journaling at all so my blog is pretty much my journal so if any of my posts are boring and meaningless information to you, this would be why. I'm sure Kaden would love to read about this conversation when he's a dad!

5 comments:

The Horton Family said...

Woo-Hoo Kaders! Way to go there man! Darn when they start figuring out that the answers we are trying to give them just aren't quite cutting it anymore... :) Nice way to pass the buck on to Jesse - that should be a father-son conversation shouldn't it? :)

Heidi said...

I LOVE this story! I can see Jesse o nly making it worse though by telling him some really random thing to be funny - like "she ate a purple popsicle" - and years from now your poor son will be so confused.

Mandi Ward said...

Is it Tera Daniles that is pregnant? This is the first I have heard about it.

Lacey Allen said...

LOVE love love that story... you did good though... I would have probibly got out the enciclopedia (sp) and been way to literal... and botched thr whole thing.... you are a brave woman!

The Nelsons said...

Rough question. Isie asked that once too, but I think she was satisfied with the Heaven answer. He's a thinker!