Friday, October 3, 2008

Fruits of my labor

I finished my canning for the year. I got 30 quarts of peaches and 31 quarts of salsa. I could never find pears so we are out of luck this year. I like the peaches and Jess LOVES the salsa so we both win. (Hint: canned peaches on rice chex cereal is amazing.) I got Jesse's mom's salsa recipe which is way good. It took 13 hrs to do the salsa because Jess wanted a double batch. I did the salsa on Monday and my fingers still smell like onions and garlic and I still get a whiff on our clothes once in a while. While I was canning my friend said she could smell my house from the driveway. Yuck! I've been baking bread and making cinnamon waffles to get the smell out of the house!
Plenty of peaches and tapioca for me!

This is only half.

I finally the salsa finished at 9pm and that was with two canners going! Probably NOT doing a double batch next year!

3 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

HA! ... not doing a double-batch next year? We are supposed to have a year's supply! I will require a double-batch in an effort to be obedient to the council and I would appreciate some support.

The Horton Family said...

Totally jealous! I love canned salsa and peaches, but have no time to do it. Yours looks really good too!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad we're family, and there is that Big brother salsa tax that comes around every year!