Sunday, January 18, 2009

Saturday Night Curlers


Every Saturday night of my childhood was the same. Dinner. Bath. Pajamas. Curlers. You girls that grew up in the 80's know which ones I'm talking about. The pink plastic and foam ones. The ones that made it hard to sleep because your head was covered in uneven lumps. And there was always that one curler with that one hair that was pulled too tight. Then came the morning when one of the curlers had fallen out so you had one strand that didn't look right. But I have to hand it to my mom... she had six heads of hair to do, four of which were girls, so it's no wonder she took shortcuts. My sisters and I look back at those nights now and laugh. So I couldn't help myself. I decided to put Ellie through the same torture and put her hair in curlers on Saturday night. I tried it once when she was like a year old but Jesse snuck behind my back and loosened them all before she went to bed, which obviously led to disaster in the morning. While I was putting the curlers in Kaden came up and said, "Oh Ellie, your hair looks so pretty!" Erin, Keri and Casey, this one's for you! (Like the song? hahaha)

And then the next morning...


Holy Macaroni! Can you say Shirley Temple? Every curler I pulled out I laughed harder and harder. It was so stinkin curly! Kaden came in and I asked him if Ellie's hair was pretty and he said, "No, it looks silly!" People at church kept asking me if I had permed her hair. Jesse and I have been laughing all day. It is sooo curly! Way funny. Is this what my hair looked like when I was little and nobody told me? You looked gorgeous today Ellie, that's the only reason people were staring! Hahaha! Still laughing.


It's hard to see how short it made her hair with the couch in the background, but her hair is usually past her shoulders.

4 comments:

The Horton Family said...

How dang cute is that!? Wow - a ton of curls. It really made her hair shorter. That is funny that Kaden thought she looked silly. :)

j+b said...

It is cute!!I don't know how it is yet,but it must be fun to play with your kids hair!!

Lacey Allen said...

Ellie was soooo cute today at church. I love the curls!
Your description of how curlers feel in your hair was PERFECT.... always bumpy and pulling, and cold at night if the air is chilled at all... I used to have curlers every saturday night as well... good old days hu. :)

Heidi said...

What are the odds? Last night I put curlers in Lindsay's hair for the first time! They were all out when she woke up though! I love Ellie's hair!