Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pioneer Day

I love Pioneer Day in Pocatello. The parade is awesome with tons of candy for the kids and then they have a bunch of activities up at the fairgrounds. Our favorite is the Indian Relay races which are the very last activity, so we always wait a couple hours to head up there. Bad idea this year. Ellie was so excited to go and ride a horse. She LOVES horses and could not wait! We go and get in line for the horse rides. They cut the line off right in front of us. The horses were too hot and tired. Grrr... Ellie was super sad. So we went to one of those big inflatable slides. The kids get up there and start crying because it's too hot and burning their feet. None of the other kids seemed to mind, just ours. So we went to get some ice cream to cool down. Kaden wanted a rootbeer float and Ellie wanted a popsicle. I took Ellie to get a popsicle. They took the booth down right when I walked up, they had run out. Grrr... So I ran to get her a rootbeer float. They ran out of ice cream right when I got there. Grrr.... So we sat down in the shade for a little while and then I decided I wanted an Indian Taco. Jess got in line for me and asked the lady if she would have enough. She said yes.... then the guy in front of him bought two. They ran out. Grrr....Next the kids wanted to go down the big inflatable water slide. I spent half an hour in line telling the kids they were going to get really wet and they were going to have to go by themselves. They both insisted that was fine. Jesse conveniently slipped away for this whole part so I was by myself. Not to my surprise, Kaden gets halfway up and gets scared and wants to come back down. Ellie did a little better. She got all the way to the top and got scared and wanted to come down. The lady in charge of the slide said I should just go up there and get her. So I got to go up the slide with all the other 5 year olds and go down with Ellie. We got SOAKED to the bone. We went and found dad. Jess said "Oh no, you're all wet!" Ya, I'm all wet. Anyway. Happy Pioneer Day!

These are the Indian Relay races. They ride bareback and go one lap on one horse and then switch horses until they do four laps. It's pretty exciting. Pictures don't do it justice.

Ellie was super excited, again because she loves horses. She stared at them the whole time.

Here she is showing me how fast they were running.

This is a picture of a trade off of horses between laps. The rider comes flying in and jumps off one horse and onto another. Everyone is on their feet cheering by the end. Kind of cool.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I cannot believe all that happened. Glad we just stayed home and were told that "you are the meanest parents ever! everyone else gets to do fun things today." I'll have to let Maddie know that YOU GUYS are the worst parents ever. ;)